Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!


Yesterday was my mom's birthday. I was thousands of miles away. However, I was traveling, so I had lots of time to think. And, I thought about my mom all day.

I admire so many things about my mom, it is hard to know where to start. She is honest. She will always tell you exactly what is on her mind. She is beautiful. One might catch her at her house in her PJs, but if she goes out, you can guarantee that she will look fantastic! She is strong. She has survived the death of three of her siblings, and both of her parents. She is fiercely loyal. Try not to get in between her and one of her cubs! She is generous. She won't just fill a need, she will overflow it. She is a hard worker. If you need her anytime between April and August, she will be out in her yard. She is faithful. It would take more than a wild herd of horses to drive her away from a commitment once she has put her mind to it. She is available. From the time I was a small child until now, I cannot remember one time she has told me that she was too busy to listen to me, or to hold me. Some respect their moms for having a career, and that is fine, I respect my mom for making the three of us kids her career. I always knew that I was a priority in her life.

My mom is funny. She can always be counted on to make one laugh.
My mom is in love with Jesus. God brings events into His children's lives for many different reasons, but they are almost always to grow us and to show us His reality. Many of us experience a time in our lives that is so moving, so persuasive, that the rest of our life seems to revolve around that one period. For my mom, and I believe that she would agree with me, it was her firm belief that God was going to give her more children. My brother is seven years older than me. During those seven years, my parents experienced the joy of knowing they were going to have another baby, only to lose it through miscarriage. My mom's doctors first encouraged, then begged her to give up. But, my mom was determined that God was going to prove faithful and give her another baby. He answered her prayers, and gave her me, two years later, He gave her my sister. Thanks mom, for gathering close to God's will, and waiting on Him.

I know that I could say more. I have so many wonderful memories of my mom. As for today? I love my weekly talks with mom. And, I know that I could call her at any time, on any day, and she will listen. She will then not only offer to pray for me, she will do it, right then.
Thanks, Mom. I love you more than you will ever know.
Your daughter, Deb

No comments: