Monday, May 4, 2009

1 in 8

I had the most blessed opportunity to attend the CAUSE Mother's Day Gala this past weekend. It has been said than when you are feeling sorry for yourself, there is always someone in a worse situation. This was one of those events that you walk away from feeling sober, guilty, and thankful all at the same time.
CAUSE Canada is a non-profit Christian organization that battles poverty all over the world, but has a focus in Sierra Leone, Guatemala and the Honduras. This particular event was a fund-raiser for the building of birthing huts for women and children in the country of Sierra Leone. This is a country that sees a staggering death rate among pregnant women of 1 in 8. Unbelievable! Canada has a death rate of 1 in 11,000. I have personally given birth to three children. Every time I found out that I was pregnant, I would experience a rush of emotions, a little fear, lots of excitement. However, it never once crossed my mind that I could die.
The cost of building a birthing hut in Sierra Leone is $3,000. This hut would provide prenatal and postnatal care. It would provide a sanitary birth by experienced midwives. It would give thousands of women hope that they and their newborn may survive.
At the conclusion of the evening, I was overwhelmed with the thought that I am so blessed here in Canada. I was convicted by the fact that I often get so caught up in my own problems, and think of the poor in Africa as something that I can do nothing about. However, God has told us that He has chosen the weak and foolish things of the world, I am sure that He can choose the poor as well.

No comments: