Monday, April 27, 2009

How can I keep from singing?

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to run in the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Annual Women's Run. It truly is an amazing thing to run with over a thousand women. Blue says the estrogen is a bit overpowering for him, but he is a good sport and he and the kids cheer me on.
I ran the same race last year, and I recognized something I already knew, women like to do things like this in groups. I am a bit of a loner and prefer to run alone. Another thing about women I already knew, they love to talk. Therefore, last year I found that I was in the midst of the Canadian Rockies, enjoying the outdoors, and surrounded by talking women. And, believe me, they talk about everything...
This year, I arrived at the race, proud of myself for remembering to bring my Ipod. There would be no listening to 1,000 women talking this year, no way, I was going to listen to my praise music and was so excited about it.
A few minutes before the race began, the MC put on some rock song with the purpose to get us all "pumped up". I just smiled,put in my ear buds, and cranked up the volume. The song that came on was "How can I keep from singing Your praise?" I started jumping up and down and singing out loud. I was pumped. The whistle blew, and the herd of women began to move.... I kept singing, patting myself on the back once again for remembering the Ipod. This was going to be great.

"How can I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love. How can I keep from shouting Your name. I know I am loved by the King, and it makes my heart want to sing."

Wait, what was this? Where is the next song? I was in the middle of quite a lengthy hill, and was in no position to check the status of my Ipod, but, sure enough, it lay silent in my jacket pocket. This can't be happening. But, it was...

I made it through the race. I even began to enjoy the women's voices around me.
In the hour that I ran, I must have sung that song a thousand times in my head.
I realized that my sovereign God, who always has a purpose, had a plan for me. And, a few times in the last couple of days, I have felt down, or tired, or discouraged. I have lifted my eyes to the One who has given me a new song, and sung, "How can I keep from singing your praise?"

"There is an endless song, echoes in my soul, I hear the music ring. And, though the storms may come, I am holding on, and to the Rock I cling."

No comments: