Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Happy Birthday dad!


Today is my dad's 67th birthday.
I know that I am only one of many who believes my dad to be a very special person. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have heard someone say, "You're dad is the nicest man." Yeah, I definitely agree.
The other phrase I have heard countless times is, "It must be nice to have a dad who can't yell at you." I usually just stare at them on that one, because, as I remember it growing up, my dad had absolutely no trouble getting his point across when he wanted to.
Before I was born, before my parents were married, my dad was in a very serious accident. As a result of his injuries, he lost his voice, or at least the volume of his voice. Since then, he has only ever been able to whisper. Often times, we never know why God allows certain things to happen, and why we humans love to sit around and analyze is beyond me. I do know that being around my dad has always been like a soothing balm for me. Sometimes, he talks to me, often, he just listens. If you want to have a conversation with dad, you have to listen. My mom taught me to love to talk, my dad taught me to listen.
I have three kids of my own now. Believe me, there are moments in every day where I feel like I have to raise my voice to be heard. My dad taught me that is not true.
My dad was always patient with me. He would hold my hand and encourage me on. When I didn't want to hike anymore, when I failed a test, when I was teased at school, when I broke up with my first boyfriend, when I didn't make the basketball team, when I graduated from high school, when I flew away to college, when I met Blue, when I walked down the aisle, and when Ocean was born...dad was always there, always encouraging me to do my best, to be content, and to never quit.
I love you so much, dad. I miss you. I am so blessed to have you as my dad. Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great tribute to your dad. When I met him, I feel in love with the way he acts, talks, and how he treats his children and grandchildren. You are very fortunate to have a dad like Elon. What a great guy and a wonderful Uncle of my husband.

Unknown said...

I agree, Deb. My dad was very much like my brother. Very unique