Friday, October 2, 2009

Time continues

My hopes were high for a slow, relaxing fall. Sigh! I guess it just wasn't meant to be, but the dream still floats on the edges of my mind.
The Old School Ice Cream Bus is closed, finishing a fifth summer strong and healthy. God is good. To say that it was a busy summer is a bit of a understatement. I look back on it and wonder how we ever get ourselves into the positions that we do. Are we too nice? I don't think so. A little gullible maybe? Possibly. My motto for the summer was "just keep it together, Deb, it is only for three months!" That mantra worked most of the time, but the few times that it didn't, there was a really bad and embarrassing scene. When a thirty-two year old throws a temper tantrum, it is not a pretty sight. Of course, when I was finished there must be someone to blame besides myself, right?
I chose to place the blame on a friend of ours, let's call him "Bob". Our friend, Bob, asked us to do a "small" favour for him at the beginning of the summer. This small favour grew, and expanded, finally concluded in us running his small business for the summer. Our human nature is so well-trained in the art of caring for ourselves, that to truly help another human being with no personal gain is unnatural, even painful. I was a perfect example. And, as we wrap up all of the final details for both of our businesses, I can't stop thinking about it.
Why do we do the things we do? Why do we lend to a neighbor or a friend? Why do we spend our leisure time helping someone in need? Do we do a good deed sacrificially, or do we tend to our own first, then give to others? Do we expect a returned favor, compensation, or even a hearty pat on the back? Do we only help those who can eventually help us in return, or do we help those who can never repay us?
And, do we serve graciously, or do we cause the receiver to feel guilty, even ashamed that we are helping them?
I was reading "The Giving Tree" to my kids the other day. The story tells of a tree that gave everything it could for the love of a boy. He continued to give even though he often did not receive what he desired most from this boy. At the end of the story, my daughter says, "that little boy didn't even say thank-you!" How do I teach her that she must always be grateful when receiving, but not always to expect gratitude when she is the giver. I haven't even learn this myself...

1 comment:

isabelle said...

Hi I would like to hear about your experience on running your business. My husband and I are thhinking of putting our business next to yours next summer. no Ice cream promise! you can reach me at isablam@hotmail.com