Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Don't forget to be grateful

"When gratitude has died on the altar of a man's heart, that man is nigh near hopeless." Dr. Bob Jones Sr.
This last week, my husband had Wednesday off from his job. He had worked really late the night before, so I was prepared for him to sleep in. When he sat straight up in bed and announced that he was going to install the kitchen floor, I leaned over and pinched my other arm. Yes, I was awake, and yes, it was still dark outside. I was speechless. As he jumped out of bed (literally), I found myself fumbling for a sweater and mumbling something about how we should wait. Was I crazy?! Wait for what?! The flooring had been stacked in our basement for at least two years, what did we need to wait for? He couldn't be serious. Once he drank that first cup of coffee, he would realize that his hypermotivation was just a carry-over from whatever dream he had been having.
But, wait... what was this?....no coffee?! He was straight out the door to the garage and I heard his air compressor and table saw roar to life. I was still sitting on the edge of the bed trying to figure out what was going on. I did know one thing, I was not skipping the coffee, no way, no how.
When he burst back through the door, the first piece of flooring in hand, I finally came to the realization that he was very serious.
My baby is amazing. He did it. By the end of the second day, I had a brand-new, beautiful cork kitchen floor.
Something he said at the end of the project caught my attention. I was praising him, going on and on about what a wonderful man he is, etc. etc., and he looked at me and said, "I should be in your good book for at least a year." My initial response was to "kind of" snort and mumble under my breath, but then I stopped to think.
My husband is good and he does good things for me because he loves me. My heavenly Father loves me so much the more and He does good things. How easily I forget!!
It has only been a week, and when I feel my old self rising up inside to say something that is unkind or usually a bit sarcastic, I remind myself that he has another 51 weeks in the "good book". No, seriously, I remind myself of what Christ did for me, He died on the cross so that I could have eternity with Him. Everyday, He fills my life with good things, and I don't ever want to forget to be grateful.

No comments: