Sunday, November 23, 2008

The tongue...

Two days ago, I met with a couple of women here on my street. We usually meet once a week for a Bible study. Well, we had concluded the study last week, and were just meeting for accountability on finishing that last week of homework. That, and I believe it is a highlight for all of us to get together, chat, drink coffee, and the best part...Dave, the husband of one of the women, had offered to watch the kids so that we could devote our attention to the study. He is truly a servant.
So, we got a little sidetracked and started discussing a present social issue. I admit that I had not researched the subject, nor did I really have an opinion. But, I do so enjoy a good debate every once in awhile, and it wasn't long before the topic became quite spirited.
About the time I was really starting to feel the heat in the room, one of the women burst into tears. I immediately froze, my arm in the air, the spark still in my eye, and my lips forming the words for my next point. I knew things were getting a little heated, but I had no idea that the topic was personal.
God then gently whispered James 3:2 in my ear, "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man and able also to bridle the whole body." I had, unconsciously, offended my dear friend. The other two women immediately jumped up, apologizing, hugging, and making a definite attempt to make things right. I just sat there.
I spent the entire afternoon with this nagging feeling in my gut that I should not have left things the way they were. Even though I did not feel as if I had said anything that was wrong, there was still that little voice. To be honest, I still felt that I was right. (Don't I always?) This time He whispered James 3:5 "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth." I finished verse 6 for Him, "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity, so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."
It truly does not matter if I was right. God doesn't even care if she was right and I was wrong. Our tongue, my tongue, can destroy the whole body of Christ.
I walked over to the phone, picked it up, dialed her number, and told her that I was sorry if my words had hurt her in any way. She responded in grace and we reconciled.
God is so good. His wisdom is "pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, FULL of mercey and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

No comments: