Monday, November 3, 2008

Run Aground

I read an amazing story today. Every story in God's Word is amazing, but I am always blown away by how God brings the right story at the right time.
I believe I have mentioned the little situation that my husband and I got ourselves into this past year. We purchased a condo with plans to do an extensive reno, then put it back on the market for a significant profit. It seemed like a good idea at the time, although we did receive cousel from several people that maybe we should wait.
Well, there were the usual setbacks, it cost more and took longer than usual, but the biggest setback came in the early summer. We had had the unit on the market for 3 months, and an indeterminable fire destroyed the entire top floor of our building, our entire unit. Insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding, but we must cover the mortgage and condo fees until the unit sells. We were unprepared to do that, and the extra burden on our finances has at times been excruciating. We have been humbled by the grace and kindness of good friends and neighbors, and the lessons that God has patiently taught me have been worth more than a thousand condos. But, I have also been battling a heavy cloak of shame that we got ourselves into this situation in the first place and that I am so tired, I don't know if I can make it to the end of this.
Then, I read this story. It is from Acts 27. Paul is about to embark on a ship. He perceives that there will be great tragedy and tries to warn the captain. The captain ignores his advice and proceeds with his plans. This was all suddenly sounding very familiar to me. Paul was partially correct when they did sail into a huge storm. Yes, we are right in the middle of it. My breath was taken away when I read verse 26. God promised to deliver them, but first they "must run aground". Difficulty does not always mean disaster. Sometimes, delivery may be painful. Heavy winds and raging seas don't always mean you're on the wrong course. And, do you know what else is amazing? God always has a destination in mind when He delivers. The ship ran aground on the island of Malta, a place of kindness, warmth and welcome. The storm may be raging, and we may even have to toss a few things overboard to keep from sinking, but, if we believe, God provides deliverance even in the midst of "Plan B".
I was and am overwhelmed with gratitude that during the times when we may have overlooked sound advice and headed straight into a storm, it is still possible to run aground into God's will if we listen and believe.
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

3 comments:

Rosy said...

Hey Deb- I liked your thoughts on the storm. Tom is in Calgary this week. He stopped by your house Sunday on his way but no one was home. You were probably at church.
Aunt Rosy

Rosy said...

Hey Deb- I liked your thoughts on the storm. Tom is in Calgary this week. He stopped by your house Sunday on his way but no one was home. You were probably at church.
Aunt Rosy

Rosy said...

Hey Deb- I liked your thoughts on the storm. Tom is in Calgary this week. He stopped by your house Sunday on his way but no one was home. You were probably at church.
Aunt Rosy