Monday, September 22, 2008

Preparing for the future

I took time to read this summer. A person can make time for anything that they truly want to do. I wanted to read. Now, this time to read may not have come in the form of relaxing on the sofa, with a hot latte at my side, my feet propped up, soft music in the background, and an otherwise silent background. (sounds nice,eh?) But, like I said, you can make time if you really want it. So, as I was preparing dinner, or watching the kids take a bath, I even tried reading while I was mowing the lawn. (Didn't work so well) But, usually, my reading took place late at night, or early in the morning. What did I read? I read the entire "Left Behind" series.
I realize that I am about 8 years late on my enthusiasm. When the series first came out, I was not patient enough to wait for the next book to come, and they were so popular that they were nearly impossible to find at the library. But, enough of my excuses on why I had not read them yet.
They were a simple read, thus the reason I was able to read so fast. I enjoyed getting to know the characters. And, I enjoyed the build-up to the final "Glorious Appearing". But, more than that, I was absolutely fascinated with the events that are going to take place. It read like a fiction story, and many of the judgments that God has planned are so mind-blowing that the human mind has a hard time comprehending them. But, they are truth! I was challenged about my relaxed attitude towards witnessing. If I really believe that Christ is coming any second for His own, wouldn't I be doing everything I could to persuade as many as my family members, neighbors and friends that HE IS COMING!!!!?????
I was also sobered by the fact that even after so many of these devastating judgments, people are still going to deny God. That God, in all of His overwhelming love and grace, is just and righteous, and He will win. That culminating battle of the ages will be fought, and will be won by the one who is TRUE and RIGHTEOUS. I had goosebumps.
And, it seems to me, that here on earth right now, we are comfortable. We are blinded. We spend more time planning our weekend, or our next vacation, or our next house, or our next car, or our retirement, than we spend planning the imminent return of our Saviour. I am guilty!
"...For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

No comments: