Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Be ready...

My husband and I own an ice cream business. This may sound silly, but we have a old school bus, and we sell ice cream out of it. We park it on an empty lot in Canmore, and spend a few months of every year wearing flip-flops, selling ice cream, and talking to a lot of people.
Also on our lot is the business of a dear friend of ours, Tony. He lives in Indonesia for the better part of every year, and comes to Canmore in the summer to sell clothing, jewelry and art. We enjoy seeing him every summer.
He has a son, Dante. He is eight years old. This summer, Dante was able to participate in a Christian soccer camp, and a vacation Bible school, both run by our pastor here in Exshaw. A few weeks ago, Tony, Dante and I were sitting on a picnic table on our lot. Tony was attempting to tell me about an article he read about the origin of man. I was distracted, watching the bus, but nodding my head every once in awhile. Suddenly, I realized that Dante was looking right at me. I turned and looked at him. "That's not true, is it Deb?" I stared at him for a moment, before I realized that he was talking about the article that his dad was summarizing for me.
"No, Dante, it is not", I said.
"We know where man came from, don't we, Deb?"
"Yes, Dante, we do."
"We know that God created man, and that because we are sinners, He had to send His son to die for us, and all we have to do is believe and we can live with Him forever. Right, Deb?"
He bounced his ball a couple of times and then got up and walked away.
I sat in stunned silence for a few moments, then looked at Tony and said, "Yes, that is truth."
I wonder how many opportunities to share the most incredible news of God's love pass me by because I am distracted by the temporary things of this life?
"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts; and be READY ALWAYS to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

No comments: