Saturday, September 6, 2008

Humility is a beautiful thing

Well, this last weekend, I had the bright idea to get together with some ladies in our church and do a hike. There is a particular mountain that I have wanted to hike for awhile. Cascade. It is a beautiful summit, 2998 meters, towering above the town of Banff. It was a worthy goal, and I was so excited.
Being as my husband and I are in the throes of toddler-hood, we have been unable to hike together for quite some time. He gallantly offered to spend the day with our three children, and all that was left was for me to find a partner. I was happy to find not one, but two women in our church who were also interested in climbing Cascade. We set the date and time.
The night before, I began to get a little nervous. I considered myself to be in reasonably good shape, but it had been a busy summer, and I had not been out as often as I would have liked. I then considered my partners. Caroline is a single, energetic woman. She works outside all day doing landscaping, and at night, for exercise, she rides her bike for 40 km. She hikes nearly every weekend. Sure, we seem to be on the same level. (yeah, right) Esther, a mother of six, the youngest is twelve, is a bit of a health nut. She is in shape and loves to hike. Ok, no problem.
I desperately wanted to back out.
However, I had youth on my side, right?
Well, about an hour into this hike, I realized I was in trouble. Their pace was akin to my light jog. I could keep this pace up for, oh, maybe 5 more minutes. However, two hours later, the smile wiped off my face, I realized it was going to take every ounce of strength within me to get to the top of this mountain. These girls were what I would call, "hard-core", no stopping for water, food, they didn't even have to go pee! Yes, they would stop and wait for me, and by the time I caught up, they would start again. I started singing praise songs, praying, making up to-do lists, anything that would take my mind off what I was doing to my body.
We reaching the top in about four hours, and as I crested the final ridge, the view took my breath away (what was left of it). I personally knew the God who had created all of this. I wanted to fall down on my knees and worship Him, and not just because I had made it to the top, but because He loves me.
"Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to do day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?"
He has counted the hairs on my head, He keeps my tears in a bottle, and He knows my needs even before I do.
I sat on the top of Cascade and thanked Him. I thanked Him for my salvation, my health, my family, and my church. I thanked Him for His amazing creation, that cries out in worship to Him. And....I prayed for the strength to get back down.
It was a struggle to keep up with Caroline and Esther on the descent. They were kind and patient, and I just couldn't help thinking that humility is a beautiful thing.

1 comment:

Rosy said...

Hi Deb

I do enjoy your blog and read it.It has been fun to see Susie and kids and your dad and mom this week.

Love Aunt Rosy