Thursday, September 18, 2008

a good CAUSE...

So, I wrote about my humbling hike up Cascade Mt. A week after that wonderful hike, I was registered to run in a race. When I signed up for the race, I thought it was a great idea. Three days before the race, when I could still barely walk as a result of the hike, no longer a great idea. Nevertheless, I was committed.
Twenty-five years ago, a couple in our church saw the need for Christians to be participating in meeting the needs of poor people world-wide. They founded an organization called CAUSE, Christian Assistance for Underdeveloped Socities Everywhere. CAUSE is located in Canmore. Their biggest fundraiser every year is to organize a race. Every penny raised in this race is matched three to one by the government and is used directly for the overseas projects. This year, their focus has been Sierre Leonne. When I went online to register for the race, I was given the option to replace my race fee with a year-long commitment to sponsor a little child to go to school. I didn't have to pray long to realize that this is what God wanted me to do.
I received the information on our little girl the day before the race. Her name is Bensa. She will be able to go to first grade this year. She is beautiful. As I ran my race, I kept picturing her dark eyes and her big grin. Every step I ran, even though a little painful, I ran for her.
We are not a wealthy family, by any means, but we have a house, and clothes, and food. My children have health care and can go to school. We are so wealthy. It was necessary for me to look outside of my little bubble and see the bigger picture, and I am so glad that I did.
"...he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he."

No comments: