Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reflection

It is a new year. We are at the beginning of a new day. The word "new" holds so much promise. The unknown can be scary to some, a challenge to others. For me, I have learned to take one day at a time, each day being a gift, a fresh start. Whatever transpires during the day, I know that God is God, and I am not. I know that if I open my eyes, each morning "will bring me word of His unfailing love." And, so, I reflect.
The beginning of any new year brings resolutions, even for those who resolve to not have any resolutions. My dad told us once that if you know something needs changing, you don't need to wait until the new year to do it, do it now. So wise, my dad is. Other words of wisdom from my family include my sister's resolution for this year, "survival". She is a pastor's wife, and the mother of four homeschooled children. She is fabulous, by the way, and does way more than survives, she shines!
As I glance back into 2010, I remember thinking survival might be the only item to be crossed off the "to-do" list. Yet, here I am peering into the future of 2011, wondering what it may hold, and how best to prepare.
I have set some of the usuals to paper, run a half-marathon, pull the dusty guitar out of the closet, read more, eat more vegetables, drink less coffee? seriously?....I could just copy off last year's list and paste it to 2011.
No, this year is going to be different. I have been challenged by several experiences. One, I read a book last year. Actually, I read it several times. Those middle of the night feedings do come in handy. It was called, "The Heavenly Man". This book was about a pastor, Liu Zhenying in China. His story is remarkable, to say the least, and will literally take your breath away. The part that challenged me the most was his memorization of the Bible. Whenever he had one in his possession, he did not take for granted the treasure that he held. I have several Bibles in my home, and, to my shame, these precious words are often left alone for days at a time. This pastor would memorize as much and as quickly as he could, whole books at a time, knowing that his time with the Bible would be short. When he was imprisoned for years at a time, God would enable him to recall passage after passage that brought him great comfort, physical healing, and miraculous escapes from prison. Wow. My goal for 2011 is to memorize more, as much as I can, so that when those hard times come, God's words will be foremost in my mind.
The second experience that challenged me in the same area, was a visit with a really close friend. God has allowed a time in her life that is so painful, words cannot describe it. Numbly, I sat, listening to her try to describe all that she has gone through.
Hurt, so much hurt. Then, her tone softened, and she began to tell me how God's word had been such a comfort to her. As she lay, curled up from the pain, friends had read the words out loud. As the darkness, so heavy it took her breath away, was lightened by the memory of certain verses she had memorized long ago. As the fear overtook her thoughts, robbing her of much needed rest, only the reading of God's Word brought her peace.
Yes, it is a new year. I do not know what it holds. For me, it holds some memorization of my Bible. I believe I will start with Psalm 101, our pastor calls it the prince/princess prayer...

No comments: