Wednesday, January 21, 2009

History has been made...

So we have it. History has been made. Dreams have been fulfilled. Goals have been achieved. Barack Obama is the first African-American president of the United States.
Yes, it is an amazing thing. As I have watched with awe, the euphoria swell up and flow into every corner of the earth, I recognize that something momentous has occurred. During a time of darkness and gloom, this seemingly angel of light has appeared, promising hope and change. Everyone wants hope and change, right? What is wrong with that?
He promises a greener earth, he promises education and health care for everyone, he promises peace, he promises a good and safe economy, and he promises that the world will once again view the United States with respect and admiration. Living up in the beautiful country of Canada, I am often surrounded by a persuasive line of thought that places all of these promises as priorities. And, I am reminded of Satan's temptation of the Son of Man. "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan; for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve."
My heart sickens when I think of Obama's stand on abortion and gay marriage. My chest tightens with fear when I think of all the damage that could be done by him in the next four years. But, I also have God's promise that "...there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." My God, good and true, is and always will be in control. I have nothing to fear.
Looking back at history, which we all know repeats itself, maybe God placed Obama as president to bring His believed children to their knees. Isn't that where we should be anyway?