Monday, January 12, 2009

Thou art there.

I managed to get out for a walk today. As I was putting, oh around a thousand, layers on the kids to keep them warm in the Canadian wind, I made a commitment to spend some time praying out loud. I have found "confessing with my mouth" to be vital in the quantity and the quality of my prayer life. When I pray quietly, my thoughts tend to wander and I realize that I am no longer praying. I also know that Satan, my greatest enemy, cannot read my thoughts. I find great pleasure in having him hear me as I praise my God, confess my sin, ask for His guidance, and build a genuine relationship with the Great I Am.
The kids settled in, and I began my prayer, out loud. We had walked for about 20 minutes or so, and Meadow finally interrupted me.
"Mom, who are you talking to?"
Good question, sweetie.
"I am talking to God."
"Where is God, I don't see Him."
"He is here."
"How do you know?"
"Because He has promised me that He will never leave us."
"Why can't I see Him?"
"Sometimes I can't see Him either, baby, sometimes I can't even feel Him, but He is there."
"Is He with daddy, too?"
"Yes"
"How can He be with daddy and us?"
"Because He is God."
"I think that I like God."
"Me too, baby, me too."
A few minutes passed, and then Meadow said, "You can talk to God again if you want, mommy"
"Ok, I think that I will."

Psalm 139:7-10 "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it. Thanks for posting! Dave and Beth and the boys

Cassie said...

Never really thought about praying out loud to show everybody and Satan who I praise, worship, and trust.