Friday, April 25, 2008

Amazing Grace

Why is it that I so easily expect grace from others, but it is so hard to give it myself?
I had an encounter this last week with a very good friend. Actually, my husband had the encounter, and I made a feeble attempt to avoid the situation. In attempting to avoid the situation, I only managed to hurt my friend. I find that when a situation is not righted immediately, it only will become worse. I sit in my little corner and come up with every manner of excuse, defending my actions (or in this case, my husbands) and truthfully, hoping the situation will resolve itself and I won't have to humble myself in any way. I tried to explain my reactions as that of a mother bear protecting her family. But, the truth is, I am a very selfish person.
Now, I have realized this selfish state for quite some time, and have made every effort to remedy the situation, but the fact of the entire matter is this: I have received amazing, tremendous grace from the Great Judge, who sits on the only throne, and in turn, I must bestow that very grace on anyone that I come in contact with. What does that grace look like in my terms?
Apologize - without expecting an apology in return
Love - without expecting any love in return
Serve - without expecting any service in return
Forgive - without expecting any forgiveness in return
Give - without expecting anything in return

I read a Proverb this morning - "Through presumption comes nothing but strife...."
I am hurt too easily, and make assumptions too easily, these are symptoms of selfishness. To become less self-centered, I must become more God-centered.
Jesus, be my center....

No comments: