Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Prayer changes people....

About six months ago, or so, my mom started attending a prayer meeting. Actually, she was attending about three meetings a week. We continued our phone conversations, about once a week, and each time I talked to her, I could tell she was, well, different. She was softer, and full of a joy and peace that can only come from one Person.
A few weeks ago, I returned from a visit down to Idaho, and had such a wonderful time, especially with my mom. I was able to attend these prayer meetings with my mom. I have to be honest, she had told me that the average running time for one of these meetings was 2-3 hours. Whoa, ok now, I have been a Christian since I was 12 years old, I have heard a lot of sermons on the importance of prayer, and I have seen prayers answered, but two hours? I knew it meant a lot to my mom, and I have been going through a difficult time, so I went...
There were three other people there, besides my mom and I, Walter, Marilyn and my brother, Pastor Todd. Over the next few weeks I was impacted like I have never been in my life.
Often, I believe I enter a difficult time, beg God for help, then become angry when He doesn't answer the way I thought He should. Who am I, the pot, demanding answers from the Potter? I learned that God cares much more for my character than He does my happiness, which is often what I am most concerned with.
God opened my heart and allowed me to know Him, which should be my purpose for going to Him in the first place.
I also learned that there are so many needs and people who are hurting. Whether it is finanaces, family, or health...we all desperately need a work of God in our lives. It is powerful to come before an Almighty God with a burden on my heart, and have Him gently lead me to intercede for another person.
I have been telling others of my mom's prayer meetings, and they ask if I can see a difference in the church down there. I may not see an outward change in the church, but I see the change in her, and that is the most important thing I learned, prayer will change me.
As a Christian in this awesome age of grace, we have what the saints in Hebrews 11 hoped for, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, God's Son. This relationship cannot ride on the spiritual walk of others. I have Christ living within me, and I must die daily to self and talk to Him as much and as often as I can.
I have been reading Marilyn Peter's book, 'The Paw Prints of the Tiger', and have found myself longing for that same intimacy with the Lord. I can hear her dear friend, Walter, telling me to get up and have it. The intimate relationship with my Lord is there for the asking, I only need to pray....AWESOME!!!!

1 comment:

Rosy said...

Thanks for the reminder that prayer changes people.

Enjoy reading your blog.

Aunt Rosy